I was curious to see what has been the relationship of house prices and mortgage rates over the last decade, starting in February 2026. I went to the St. Louis Fed Fred tool to observe the relationship between the S&P Cotality Case-Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index and the 30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Average in the United States. To clearly see the movement, I rebased both metrics to the same date and year (February 2016) to compare their levels.
As can be seen in the graph below, home prices rose dramatically and steadily from 2016 through 2022, while mortgage rates stayed low and stable; but once mortgage rates spiked in 2022, home‑price growth flattened sharply, showing that the affordability shock effectively halted further appreciation even though prices did not fall.
Source: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=1YL3QThe divergence between the two lines, i.e., mortgage rates rising sharply while home prices remain elevated, captures the core dynamic of the current housing market: demand is constrained by financing costs, but supply remains too tight for prices to correct meaningfully.
If mortgage rates continue to rise from here, three broad scenarios emerge in my view:
Scenario 1: A modest rate increase leads to a national flat‑line in home prices, with only regional declines.
Scenario 2: A sharper rate
increase produces mild national price declines as affordability deteriorates
further.
Scenario 3: Rising rates
combine with rising unemployment, creating an environment where meaningful
nationwide price declines occur.
I am forecasting a recession in the next 6 to 12 months. Because of that I believe that the economy will eventually reach this third scenario, but without a repeat of the 2008–2010 housing crisis, because today’s market lacks the extreme leverage, speculative inventory, and credit‑quality deterioration that defined that period.

No comments:
Post a Comment